Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Grandma Gavin's Cabin "Adventure"

It's every student's dream to spend their thanksgiving break doing manual labor. Luckily for me, Grandma Gavin's Cabin (which I didn't even know was ours now) needed a little facelift. The roof was rotting in one section & needed to be replaced and then re-shingled.

Oh and nothing will make you more thankful to live in a warm and dry desert than working outside when it's 37 degrees and raining!

Here is how Dad, Weston, & I spent our "Black Friday":





Dad sawed off a huge rotting portion of the roof and replaced it with new wood







As Weston & I worked, we wrote a little song about Showlow... something about it being the place "where the rocks are green and the grass is yellow..." :)

On the way back we stopped to get a picture in the snow

Sadly, it's mostly melted because dad wouldn't let us stop the day before on the way up when it was fresh :(









I think the highlight of the trip for Weston was discovering this little treasure in some of grandma's old jewelery in the shed...
It can be worn as a fancy eye patch... a forehead jewel... or a sleazy necklace... SO versatile!

...And of course he was half-naked on the drive home!


I had a great time working with Dad & Weston--I've missed them a LOT this semester as I've been away at school. ...Plus, who could refuse an opportunity to work off all of those thanksgiving calories? :)

7 comments:

Steven and Chelsea said...

of course Weston has no shirt on...and is wearing your grandma's jewelry! i love your family :)

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Oh Weston. I think you could do a compilation post of him in his spandex, parka & nekkid with grandma's jewelry--all in the space of a couple of days. What a versatile guy! =)

That was nice of you to help Dad on the cabin. I remember when it was new--but it looks in pretty bad shape now! Oh, and the rocks in Show Low have always been green like that--your song is too true!

Nathan and Aubrey said...

Ha, Ha. I, too, just found out that Gma Gavin's cabing was ours. Ahhhh.....manual labor!

Allison said...

Text from you Thanksgiving Morning: "Um... so my parents woke me up and told me we're going to St. John's. You know what I'm thankful for? Not living in St. Johns, that's what!" Hahaha

Paige said...

haha really? I don't remember writing that, but it doesn't make it any less true... :)

The Gavin Parents said...

Oh the thankfulness engendered by knowing you don't have to BE the homeless woman living in the cabin with the rotted roof & broken windows.
And thanks to you for all your help. We are thankful for YOU!

Aubrey said...

Awwww....memories. This is what a blog is all about. These little things we would have forgotten....