Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Happy Blog-iversary!

It has been a year since that fateful day when Jim (my then-anti-blogging compatriot) abandoned me to go to work for the day and left me in the clutches of my loving, peer-pressuring sisters who forced me to make a blog.

Not that this should be a significant event in anyone's life--the one-year anniversary of their blog--but I can't help reflecting on how much (I hope) things in my life have changed over the course of a year: What have I done? How am I different? What have I learned?

I mean, a year ago I was single, I lived in a run-down apartment complex, I worked as a desk manager at one of the dorms, I wasn't too fond of school and I was stuck in Tucson anxiously awaiting graduation... wait wait... none of that stuff has changed yet. Poo.

Okay okay I'll be serious. Well, as serious as I'll get over the Internet anyway because, again, this is just a blog after all ;) Brace yourself. It's lengthy. And a bit narcissistic.

I feel I've learned & experienced more over the past year than I have compared to any other year of my life thus far. I enjoyed my happiest moments ever. I also experienced the most excruciating trials [in my experience... not ever known to man--my life isn't that bad]. Unrelated to the aforementioned trials, this past year I had my heart broken a few times; I force myself to learn a new song on the piano each time that happens. I met and got to know some of the best people ever to walk this earth--no exaggeration. I now better comprehend and love what the Gospel has done and does for my life daily. I changed the way I write in my journal--from simply recording experiences to now expressing my feelings about the events in my life--I hope that makes it more interesting/relatable for my posterity. I gained an appreciation for silence & meditation. I learned to like country music. I lost 15lbs. I read 20+ books. I learned that there is no such word as "alot" (only "a lot" and "allot"). I came to understand why Visiting Teaching is important. Last semester I experienced what it's like to actually appreciate my education and LOVE learning for the sake of learning... and then proceeded to forget all that after trudging through the academic difficulties of this semester. I undertook my first "major" sewing project: an apron; 6 months later, still unfinished. I learned how to be better at public speaking. This year I watched the last of my first Tucson friends disappear into the land of the marrieds; I stopped worrying about when I would do the same--I'm kinda enjoying my current circumstances :P I rode on a motorcycle for the first time. I listened to a lot of Latin-American music with the hope that it would help my Spanish; I can now sing a lot of songs in Spanish, but I still don't know what they mean. I tried squid for the first time ever. Oh and yesterday my roommate had me try honey on cheese--I can't say I'll do that one again, but I'm always glad for new experiences.

Alright, enough about the past. I feel content with the things I've learned, the experiences I've had, and the people I've been given the opportunity to meet. Here's to a year from now being able to blog about:
-graduating
-running a marathon
-overcoming my fear of needles
-what I'm gonna do with my life :)

PS: I am now a co-author (with Joseph) of another blog--it kind of details all things that have to do with our daily running experiences. Feel free to check it out.

4 comments:

Colton said...

As cliche as it sounds, you are an inspiration. Its quite strange how your blog has this intangible thing...this characteristic. Its like your writing has...basically...meaning.

I'm coming to grips with it.

Joe said...

Ditto to Colton's comment. My blog is pretty much the most pointless thing ever invented besides the accordian.

And, hmmmm, are you committing to run the Marathon in June? :)

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Happy Blog-iversary! I'm soooo thrilled that you succumbed to the pressure. I love reading about what you're up to, and you always bring a smile to my face...whether it's picturing you eating cheese with honey on it, or seeing you sport some funky new costume. I love you Paigey...keep on writing!!

love, your bossy sister

Allison said...

I love squid!



...and this post. ;-)
& you!

<3
Allison