Monday, September 28, 2009

Grand Jury Duty

This is the Federal Courthouse for Pima county in downtown Tucson. This is where I spent my Monday this week. I was "randomly selected to be a potential federal grand juror" which, as they emphasized, is a bit different from regular jury duty. Namely in the fact that, if one of the 23 chosen grand jurors, I would serve every other Wednesday (9am-5pm) for a year. Grand juries help decide whether or not there is enough evidence to let a case go to trial, thus they (hopefully) protect people from being wrongly accused/investigated. On a given day they decide on 60-70 cases, which in AZ are mostly dealing with illegal immigration and drug trafficking.

Sadly I was picked to be one of the 10 alternates. The 10th alternate to be exact. So unless 9 people on the jury randomly move away or die in the next year my services will likely go unused.

It's too bad because I can't picture a time in my life when serving in a grand jury could be any more convenient: no children, no real job, an excuse to miss school every other Wednesday. Dang my luck.

Oh well, at least I got to hang out at the courthouse all day and see our constitution at work. And they have great panoramic views of Tucson from the upper floors. In this pic you can see the freeway and "A-Mountain". Hooray.

3 comments:

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Oh I think jury duty is so cool--really. Course I've never actually been chosen...just called in to show my face and then dismissed. Who knows, 9 unlucky people could disappear and it will be your lucky day? =)

Aubrey said...

I know someone, who knows someone, who could get rid of someone (or nine someones) for you.

I feel the Law & Order theme song coming on....

Colton said...

That sounds so prestigious. The funny thing about jury duty is that you can be completely incompetent and still decide important things. Its a little bit frightening. Although voting is just as scary.