Monday, September 7, 2009

Sleeeeeep

I'm having trouble sleeping. I hardly ever sleep through the night anymore because I'm always waking up with thoughts and inspirations that, apparently, can't wait til morning. Another problem is this everpresent feeling that I have something to do--and I do always have something to be working on--so I also have trouble allowing myself to sleep very deeply. And we all know what happens when I don't sleep very deeply...
That's right: a return of the sleep-texting and sleep-walking.

The other night I was sound asleep in my bed when suddenly I woke to find that I had walked across the living room with a determination to accomplish the extremely important task of adjusting the pillows on the couch to make them symmetrical. Uhhhh...? I'm not OCD, I promise.

Last Friday night I went to bed at 9:30pm because I've found that Friday nights are the only night of the week where I can catch up on my sleep--lame huh? I actually got some great sleep that night but the next morning I woke VERY surprised to find that I had responded to a text whilst in deep slumber. I have zero recollection of seeing/comprehending the text, let alone responding--coherently, I might add:
Kyle: You aren't by chance a really good singer are you?
Fully-asleep Me: Definitely not sadly.

I mean, I know I'm not a good singer, but I had no idea any part of my unconscious was actually sad about it. I also spelled "definitely" correctly, which is a tricky word to get right even when fully awake.

Oh and if you're wondering what that top picture is, that was the view from my bedroom window Sunday morning at 5:30am. I woke to lights and sirens as some guy--intoxicated, by the looks of it--fell over on his bike in the parking lot across the street from my apt. and required medical attention.

Gah I just want some good sleep!

6 comments:

Joe said...

hahaha :)it was you who put the watermelon in my room! wasn't it!

janae said...

Just want you to know that I still secretly hope that you'll marry Joe. Not because of Joe. Just because I want you to be my sister-in-law. BAD. :)

ps. yes, I read your blog. I can't help it. You're hilarious!
pps. I had a friend who tried to burn down her house with a curling iron in her sleep. HI.LA.RI.OUS. (Only because that would be impossible.)
ppps. Sam once took a bath fully clothed while asleep.
pppps. Are you sick of ps's yet?!

Aubrey said...

Geez! Well the first thing you need to do is turn your phone off or down and keep it in the other room. The second thing (and you probably already do this) is keep a piece of paper and pen by your bed to write down your inspirations or your to-do list. Then, mentally give yourself permission not to think about it anymore. #4 take an OTC drug like Unisom. #5 accept that it's probably genetic because you are Anita's daughter Ü
Oh, and #6 if you can work it into your schedule, a 30 minute cat nap does wonders!

Allison said...

Haha! How come I'm never a recipient of the Sleep Texts?!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

LOVE Aubrey's motherly advice. So true and good....like always. I've been randomly waking in the night over the past few weeks....and start singing songs in my head...along with other random thoughts. Totally stinks because it lasts about an hour. I feel your pain sister! I would be VERY concerned about the sleep texting..who knows what you would say deep in slumber. Sounds like you're a champ at it tho. =)

now get to bed!

Carca said...

hahahaa!!!