Thursday, January 21, 2010

Adventures

Every month I get to go to the temple 2-3 times. Once with my ward. Once when Joseph wants to go. And one more time with my amiga, Kami.

Over a year ago we [Kami & I] decided to start taking monthly temple trips on our own--as a bit of a girl's day out type thing. Somehow the trips are never without incident. I don't know how it's possible, but something always goes awry. Whether we get lost looking for somewhere to eat, lock the keys in the car, or forget the temple recommend... something always happens.

Last month was CrAzY. We left Tucson around 10:30am, ran into a massive dust storm, and almost got to Casa Grande before traffic stopped. We were turned around and informed that the I-10 was closed in both directions due to a 20-car pileup a few miles ahead.


Here's what traffic looked like as we turned around... a 5-mile long parking lot.

We got about 10 minutes down the road in the other direction when traffic stopped again. Another accident. Freeway closed in both directions. So we were trapped between 2 freeway closures in the middle of a huge dust storm (You have to see these things to believe them--they are CRAZY).

I got out of the car and walked around a bit because traffic was NOT going anywhere

Luckily Kami had an AZ map so we found a random side-highway and took that through the back hills of AZ and made our way to the temple. 5 hours later.

This was our view. ZERO visibility. It was like driving through dirty fog.

If you live in AZ right now then I'm sure you know that much of the state is having some crazy storms. Northern AZ is getting snow and has declared a state of emergency due to possible flooding in areas near creeks, Phoenix is getting hammered with rain, and Tucson... well... we get dust. Lots of it. Hooray :)

Kami and I should really check the weather when we plan these temple trips because we were having deja vu from last month as we headed through the crazy winds and dust on the I-10 to get to Mesa today.





This is a picture of one of the accidents we encountered today. Oh well. All worth it to be able to get to the temple. And I have to say I feel very fortunate to be able to make it safely every month. I'd like to think that it's because we were going to the temple that we've been able to avoid all of the crazy disasters along the way. Prayer definitely works ;)

4 comments:

Aubrey said...

Crazy! I heard there are tornado warnings too!

Colton said...

I'm thinking you should drop this habit.

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Wowzers!! Colton's comment made me laugh. =) I say keep it up, because it will get waayyyyyy harder to keep up with that schedule when you have little ones. You put me to shame! =)


p.s. you need to call me--pronto!

Cha said...

Paigey Lynne! I remember that 22 car pileup on the national news and assuring myself you were not on the road between Tucson & Phoenix that day! I would have been very freaked out if I had known that you were!!! Keep up with the prayers! They're clearly working.