Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Adventures in food storage

This is a can of green jello aka "lime gelatin dessert":

It is over 40 years old. Yes, 4-0. I found it while we were cleaning out my grandma's cabin. I wanted to see if it was any good because, really, how could that sort of stuff ever go bad??

Let's take a look inside:

Hmmm... not too shabby. A little hard and partially congealed, but other than that... oh and it looks like it's mixed in with dark black sand or something too. But who knows, maybe that's how they did it back in the day. Let's see how she reacts to a little hot water:


Looks good enough. Everything seems to be dissolving A-OK. Except for that mysterious dark sand. It just sinks to the bottom. Weird. Well, now for the real test. Leave it in the fridge.


Viola! It has solidified! [And makes a nice reflective surface] Apparently gelatin does not lose it's ability to gel-i-fy over the years. Hooray! However that dark black sand is still looming on the bottom. Hmmm... Interesting. Anywho, let's see how she tastes...

Just. Kidding. Unfortunately, my Dad won't let me eat it. He thinks the soothing lime smell (hello it's lime flavored!) reminds him too much of detergent and is convinced it's poisonous. So I'm saving it for my engagement party.

No, no, not to serve. To throw. That's right. I wanna have a food fight. Seriously. I highly doubt I'm the only one who has ever watched a bride & groom shove cake in each others faces and thought "why are they the only ones who get to have all the fun?" So I'm gonna wear a Goodwill wedding dress and let people throw poisonous jello and refried beans [and whatever else they wanna bring] at me & Joseph (and each other, obviously). It's gonna be sweet! And salty. And mushy.

May 1st. Save the date.

5 comments:

j@nAe said...

Some day Joe will have to take you to Grandpa Ricks' house. You'll find equally exciting stuff in their food storage. Trust me. I know these things. :)

Aubrey said...

So WHERE are you having this food fight? And, I would have chosen a food fight over babysitting for us that weekend too ;)

Colton said...

OH MY GOSH, I am so devastated that I'm not going to be in Arizona on May 1st! Jamie had a food-fight once when we were just becoming friends, and I missed that, too! Boo!

By the way, this is quite possible the COOLEST thing EVER. Food-fight engagement party. Awesome. I would totally have tried that poisonous jello. I've been building up an immunity to Iocaine powder.

Sasha Piton said...

This is pretty much the most amazing thing I've ever heard. End of story.

Allison said...

I'm going to have to find your Mom's stash of 16 yr old peaches.
I recall you throwing one at my head and it hurting 'ril bad.

Food Fights Foreverrr :)