Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fried brain, among other things

So I haven't blogged in awhile... and I even have things of interest in our lives to talk about. But I'll save that for when I have more brain power. For now, a little public service announcement for you:

Check your appliance cords to be sure they are not frayed/have wires exposed before you use them.

I was curling my hair on sunday before church and my curling iron exploded in my hand. Literally. Sparks shooting out, everything. I was absolutely terrified. It gave me a tiiiiiiiny little electric burn/exit wound on my thumb (looks more like a mole).

I knew it would happen some day, I should have been more prepared. That curling iron was the cheapest of the cheap and I've had it for about 7 years (the off button doesn't even work and, as you can see, it's held together with althletic tape) so this event was a long time coming. I guess that could be another PSA for you: quit being so cheap.

Anyways, I'm rambling. This is a blog about a very momentous occasion: my first electric burn. As an adult, that is. [As a kid I had a lot of trial and error experiences with metal objects and electric currents, but those are other stories for another day]

In conclusion, here's a random Tucson pic for you:



Just driving home from work. You know. No big deal.

6 comments:

Aubrey said...

I have a curling iron in great shape that you can have. Almost new. It'll cost you a $1 Greyhound ticket (or $18, depending on how far in advance you book :)

TexasTwinsTwice said...

OUCH!! And I'm lovin' the 'custom' painted rims/tires on that car =)

i am janae said...

I can't believe it left a mark!! I got an electrical burn setting up our christmas lights one year. It didn't leave a mark, but I was brain dead for about an hour afterward. I honestly couldn't think clearly! Weird.

ps. sometimes cheaper is better. My parents are currently repairing their third $400 microwave in three years. The electrician said that the cheaper ones usually last twice as long. Why is that???

Kami Lynn Ferguson said...

Hahaha. You never cease to amaze me Paige. The things you do and the things you find! I love it.

Allison said...

If this were FB, I'd "like" this post.

Cha said...

I think I have that same curling iron. The "on" button falls inside about once a week and I have to pry it open and jiggle it back out and then squeeze it shut (I see you were using some kind of tape to hold yours in place). :) Good to know what I have to look forward to. :) I've been using the same brand for YEARS (not because it's cheap, but because I like how it does my hair... when it works). Once one broke and I swear it was getting colder the longer it was on. In December 1996 one bizarrely got SUPER HOT and melted off a chunk of my hair instantly on contact... as I was getting ready for the company Christmas party. I would have preferred electrocution. :)