Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Blues Clues: pt cruiser edition

Over the last 4 months or so we've had about 6 separate "incidents of irritation" with the car. Nothing major but, needless to say, last week when the car started being shaky for all speeds in excess of 10mph... I was more than putting off taking it baaaack to the mechanic again. In addition to the shaking I noticed that we were getting HORRIBLE gas mileage too. Like dropping from 26 mpg to 17 mpg. Shaking I can handle. But sucking all the expensive gas out of the tank?! I put on my detective hat and solved blues clues.

high speeds + shaky car + bad gas mileage = ???

Now, at the risk of being a stereotypical "I-have-no-idea-how-to-work-a-car" female I will reveal to you the problem:


Yup. Flat tire.
(Side note: this is a picture of our other flat tire from a few months ago... only 2 more to go baby!)
So to recap: I was driving our car 10 miles of freeway to/from work every day, for like 8 days, on a flat tire.
I wish I could say this was a one-time thing, but I am notoriously bad at car care. I'll never forget the dumbfounded look of my father when I (in high school) told him I had been driving my car with the oil light on for a whole month. Apparently that destroys your engine.
And do you know what else (besides a flat tire) will give you really bad gas mileage? Driving with the parking break on.
But I digress...

7 comments:

Colton said...

Hahaha...I am having a hard time thinking of anything uplifting to say, other than I think this is hilarious.

erika said...

Oh my goodness, although that sounds like something I would do!

janae said...

Oh my word, is your frame okay? And your alignment? That could cost a minor fortune. Not that I have any right to say anything. At age 16 my dad turned over the keyss to the 'kid car' (an '89 Camry). I drove it for three years. Just before my 19th birthday I noticed a light on the dash. "Hmmm... I wonder how long that's been on. I've never actually looked at those lights before." (In my defense, they are not nearly so visible, bright, or apparent in those old clunkers.) I had my dad look at it. "It's the oil light, Janae. When's the last time you changed the oil?" Uh, never. In three years I hadn't changed it once. Oops. What was left at the bottom of the oil tank was just tar. But miraculously the engine was fine. Phew.

Allison said...

I was JUST going to make a comment halfway through this post about you driving with the parking break on. Thanks for mentioning that.

TexasTwinsTwice said...

oh I love your posts--you crack me up.

And thanks for reminding me to change the oil in my van! =)

Cha said...

My dad (who is also your dad) also gave me that look in high school. He always told me to check the oil, so I *checked* it dutifully. I knew it needed some, but I had no idea how to get it down that tiny hole that the dipstick came out of... :P He neglected to ever tell me what to do AFTER I checked the oil and found it low! (and, of course, I never remembered to ask...)

Kami said...

Hahaha oh Paige!